Tuesday, October 30, 2012


              Computer and Video Games 

In this post I am going to speak about computer and video games. It is not a secret that nowadays computer games are very popular among young learners, and they can be more than just a form of entertainment. However, in one of our readings I faced with the idea that games are "play", and thus the opposite of "work". However, I do not agree with the author of the article. Furthermore, I would like to say that I found computer games very interesting and motivating. I think computer/video games have many advantages and can stimulate and encourage students to learn. To be honest, I personally enjoy playing video and computer games and I do play them a lot. Here are some benefits of video games.
  • They are   motivating and challenging
  • Games provide language practice in the various skills- speaking, listening, reading and writing
  • They create a meaningful context for language use
Now I would like to speak about the third advantage mentioned above, which is about a meaningful context. I think this is really very important. As Richard Van Eck says games are effective because the learning takes place within a meaningful context. What students learn is directly related to the environment in which you learn and demonstrate, and in my opinion this is very true, because learning that occurs in meaningful and relevant context is more effective that occurs outside the context. There was a very good example about the Lions that they do not learn to hunt through direct instruction, but through modeling and play.



However, I want to mention that not all games are effective, and there is a risk that games may have very bad effects on learners. This is especially true when children/adults play violent video games, which do have harmful effects. Those who play these kinds of games tend to be more aggressive and may engage in fights with their peers. Furthermore, the frequent use of computer and video games may bring to physical and social isolation, which I guess, again is a big problem.
To sum up my reflection about the video and computer games, I would like to say that even computer and video games have some negative effects, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Moreover, playing these kinds of games will help children to improve typing, reading, and writing skills, and why not, the analytical thinking as well. Besides, as I mentioned above, they are engaging and very motivating.










Anderson C.,  Sakamoto A., Gentile D., Ihori N., Shibuya A., Yukawa S.,   Naito M., Kobayashi K. Longitudinal Effects of Violent Video Games on Aggression in Japan and the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment