Monday, November 12, 2012

Mall


My current post is going to be about Mobile Assisted Language Learning. To tell the truth, I like the idea of using and integrating mobile phones into language learning process. I consider them to be very effective and engaging. Besides, it’s a great way to motivate students and keep them on the task. These three readings helped me to understand the role of MALL better, and of course enriched my knowledge.

   
Firstly, I would like to say that MALL could improve listening and speaking skills. There are various activities which can be used by the learners to develop or improve above mentioned skills. Here I would like to bring my own example. Last year, when I was practicing for taking an IELTS exam, something went wrong with my computer and it was really a disaster for me. I was in a panic, as the exam day was near, and I had no time. What I did is that I downloaded all those listening materials into my mobile phone and began to practice via it. I was listening to those materials even when I was outside.  It was really a great help to me and I am very thankful to my mobile phone J

Secondly, MALL can improve reading skill. There are a lot of textbooks, which are created mainly for the mobile phones. So learners can download these textbooks and use them whenever they want. Furthermore, MALL could be very efficient for revising or building vocabulary, which in its turn will improve spelling. It allows you to look up a word whenever you want even without having a dictionary, which, of course, was impossible in the past. Here again I want to bring me as an example. To be honest, my memory does not serve me correctly J so I do not remember words very well, and again my favorite mobile phone comes to help me. I downloaded a dictionary in my phone and I use it very often. The proverb “A friend in need is a friend indeed” is really about my mobile phone (joke). J But this is not the end. I use my cell phone to take some notes and I learn from these notes. For example, when I have a presentation, but I need to go somewhere and it is urgent; I do take notes and learn all the stuff from my mobile phone.

To sum up, what I think is that we should be very thankful to these technological innovations and of course, the creators of these innovations.  We should be very proud that we live in the 21st century, where learning is not boring or tedious, but rather engaging and motivating. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment